Our friends at Volunteer WNY have gathered some important resources for volunteers and Community Partners as we face the many challenges that lie ahead. Please visit volunteerwny.org to learn more about supporting local community efforts.
Academic Strategies to Meet Service Learning Outcomes
As our campuses are closed and instruction as moved online, it is the WNYSLC recommendation is to not have students directly serving in the community. However, there are still many resources available for exploring the concepts of service and community with your students. Here are just a few:
- Discuss and reflect on the notion of community and the various forms it takes (recognized 501C3 organizations, grassroots organizations, neighbor to neighbor connections, family and friends).
- Check with your campus library to see what streaming videos they might have available to enhance your course.
- Explore the ideas around community engagement and social justice.
- National Issues Forums has a great collection of resources that explore a variety of issues. You could have students read the materials and engage in an online discussion. The website has resources for how to structure the experience.
- Center for Civic Reflection
- Everyday Democracy has a collection of downloadable resources focused on community change. This includes stories of change makers, tools, as well as a democracy and equity reading list.
- Oregon Humanities has resources to engage students:
- Teach students how laws are created, help them discover who their elected officials are, have a discussion about the importance of advocating for what you believe in. Here are some basic civic education resources.
- Think about what organizations and businesses are impacted by COVID-19. Perhaps some of them would benefit from positive Google or Yelp reviews if the students have interacted with them?
Additional Resources for Faculty
Coronavirus and the Engaged Campus Campus Compact
Community Based Learning in times of Social Distancing, Isolation and Quarantine Portland State University
Civic Action Projects for Your 100% Online (COVID-19 ADAPTED) Courses Political Science Now
Center for Community Engagement and Impact Virginia Commonwealth University